Charles & Rosalea Sherman opened Sherman’s Grocery Store in 1947 on the corner of South Main Street and Reed Road. While it originally opened as a neighborhood grocery and meat market, they also provided their customers with delicious desserts, charge accounts and home delivery service.
In the late 1950’s Charles Sherman Sr. opened a deli in the rear of the store, which once served as the small apartment where he and Rosalea lived. In 1970, Charles, Jr. returned from college to the family business, ran the deli and assisted his father in managing the grocery store.
Charles, Jr. and his wife then bought the grocery and deli from his parents in 1978. In October of 1984, Charles, Jr. decided to change the family business into a full-time lunch and dinner restaurant. In June of 1985, Sherman’s Restaurant was born, with his family’s blessing.
In 2012, Charles, Jr. decided to retire for more time to spend with family and especially his 3 grandchildren. He sold the restaurant to a local family, Peter & Allison Nimrod. Peter, a civil engineer and Allison, a business owner are both long time residents of Greenville where they are raising their three children.